Thursday, October 23, 2014

Light

This afternoon I was privileged to spend some time with the most amazing woman on the planet. Tara is the embodiment of light. I mean really she is because Jesus lives in her, and He is light. But she is one of those spirits that just exudes His light. You can't help but be drawn to her.
I walked down the hallway passing chemo patient after chemo patient and their pulled privacy curtain. Tara's cubicle was the penthouse at the end of the hall - two windows, full length hospital bed. She sat there like a little chemo patient model with her cream knit hat, sparkling blue eyes, tan face and freshly glossed lips. I had 20 minutes before I needed to get back to a nursing baby, and she started asking ME how I was. Seriously.  
No doubt about it, she is walking through an unenviable storm. It is not fair and I want to whine at God and stomp my feet on her behalf, and I wish we could just pull her out of it. But in the middle of the storm, she is choosing to allow Christ's light to shine so bright.

Tara- thank you. Thank you for relying on God in your weakness. I hate what you are going thru. I hate it for you that your beloved is working a new job in Tulsa while you sit in your chemo cubicle a state away. Yet as we spent our 20 minutes together- you filled it with listing what you are thankful for instead of what is so obviously not fair about this entire situation. You probably didn't even realize it because being positive is second nature to you. You talked of how thankful you are that Tully's Florida job ended within days of you needing major surgery to rid you of the first bout of cancer so that he was free to take care of you. You relished in your memories of galavanting Europe just before learning of the cancer. You counted yourself blessed that your kids are here with you and your parents during these treatments. I could continue listing the blessings you mentioned. 
I just wanted to tell you thank you for being a light even when I'm sure you don't feel up to the task- even when you don't realize you are shining. God truly is shining thru you. 
I pray that today you are encouraged, strengthened, and reminded of God's truth. I also pray that this very unwelcomed cancer is kicked to the curb. You are loved Tara.

2 Corinthians 12:9 “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 

No comments: